Tuesday 4 October 2016

Research music video 5: P!ATD "LA Devotee" shot types

 For this post, I will be focusing on the shot types used within the video. The video I will be using for this is by Panic! At The Disco and called "LA Devotee" and is the same genre as "Dreams". After a cinematic intro where we see a boy being kidnapped. This is the establishing medium close up shot that starts the video, a close up of a boy singing in a white robe. This serves the purpose of an establishing shot well as right away it grabs the audiences attention and makes you question what is going on in the video. What I can take away from this is that I need to plan out every detail of my establishing shot so I can right away grab the audiences attention.



The shot following it is a extreme close up of the boy's wrist showing how he is bind to the chair, it add's narrative to the establishing shot and carries on with the established narrative. Other things that make these two shot's very effective are the lightening, costume and set dressing.




This shot in the video is very interesting, It breaks the forth wall and shows the boy is being recorded. It is framed nicely with camera being shown right of frame and then allowing us to see the set behind the camera which really communicates the idea of being kidnapped in an abandoned house clearly. This show's us how effective set dressing really is and makes me think about how it is not used as well as it could be

This in my opinion is one of the best shot's used in the video and really does demonstrate everything that needs to be used to make a shot interesting, it has action going on with the people in robes approaching and touching the kid,  The lighting creates a sense of mystery and the facial expressions and proxemics really finish it off as you can sense the relationships between the character in the shot right away.

From this video I noticed that costume can play an interesting part in what make's a shot effective, for example in "LA Devotee" the red cloaks worn in the video fill the shot in medium close up's and provide a contrast in colours which make the video creepy to view but also very aesthetically appealing as you have the set design of this abandoned house but then these grand red cloaks making the shot look.

After watching a few more indie rock video's I noticed these recurring shot types.

  • Close up's extreme close up to medium close ups and normal close ups
  • zoom in
  • under cranking
  • wide shot
  • mid shot
  • cut away
  • cut in


How this influenced my creativity and planning
This influenced my creativity and planning as it made me aware of what makes a shot effective (The lighting, shot type , proxemics , costume and set design) I now know what I need to be aware of and pay attention to make sure all my shots are effective and capture my audiences attention





No comments:

Post a Comment